|| Founded in 1878, the First Presbyterian Church initially occupied a frame structure built in 1883 at Market and Polk Street. In 1912 the congregation moved to this church building which Frances Ann (Mrs. Henry Jacob) Lutcher (1841-1924) had erected as a gift from the Lutcher family. H. J. Lutcher (1836-1912) amassed a fortune in the Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company. The Lutchers and their two daughters Carrie (Mrs. E. W.) Brown and Miriam (Mrs. William H.) Stark were philanthropists and community leaders. Mrs. Lutcher asked that the cost of the building never be publicized. She and her descendants set up a permanent endowment to maintain the facility.
Fine workmanship and materials appear throughout the structure. The beautiful art glass windows were made by Lamb Studios of New York. For the upper foyer, Mrs. Lutcher chose three prize-winning windows from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The marble came from Italy and the granite was shipped by rail from Llano, Texas. The dome is topped by a copper cupola. Decorations on the sanctuary ceiling and walls have gold leaf overlay. The pews and wood paneling in the organ loft are mahogany. Mosaic work adorns the pulpit, marble communion table and baptismal font.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978