Details for Rock Schoolhouse (Atlas Number 5363004320)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5363004320

Data

Marker Number 4320
Atlas Number 5363004320
Marker Title Rock Schoolhouse
Index Entry Rock Schoolhouse
Address
City Mineral Wells
County Palo Pinto
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 582508
UTM Northing 3630585
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics
Marker Year 1987
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 100 block of NW 5th Avenue, Mineral Wells
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Constructed in 1886 largely due to the efforts of schoolteacher Robert E. Hendry (1847-1910), this was the first public school in Mineral Wells. Stones were hauled from nearby Rock Creek in mule-drawn wagons and hand cut on the site. Features of the one-story structure include a flat roof, concrete coping, a central end-entry with segmental arch, and an enclosed belfry. The oldest existing school building in town, it served as an educational facility until 1972. (1987)