Details for Weatherford, Mineral Wells & Northwestern Railway Depot (Atlas Number 5363005733)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5363005733

Data

Marker Number 5733
Atlas Number 5363005733
Marker Title Weatherford, Mineral Wells & Northwestern Railway Depot
Index Entry Weatherford, Mineral Wells & Northwestern Railway Depot
Address 300 block S. Oak Street
City Mineral Wells
County Palo Pinto
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 583064
UTM Northing 3630247
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1985
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 300th block South Oak Street, Mineral Wells
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The tracks of the Weatherford, Mineral Wells & Northwestern Railway reached the town of Mineral Wells in 1891. This depot was built about 1903 to replace an earlier one that had burned. For the next 25 years it primarily served the hundreds of thousands of travelers who visited the town to take advantage of the mineral baths and spas. During World II, the railroad and depot served in the transportation of soldiers to and from nearby Camp Wolters. Outstanding features of the Romanesque revival style depot include its semi-circular arches and curvilinear brackets. (1985)