Details for Woods Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5365010851)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5365010851

Data

Marker Number 10851
Atlas Number 5365010851
Marker Title Woods Methodist Church
Index Entry Woods Methodist Church
Address
City Woods
County Panola
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 381871
UTM Northing 3542274
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 12 mi. S of Carthage on US 59 to CR 425, E .25 mi. to church in Woods Community
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized as Methodist Church Concord; had a house of worship before 1858. Present site was deeded to church Nov. 28, 1876, by E. S. Hull. This building was erected by men of community in winter of 1876-1877. About 1900 name was changed, to conform to local post office (named for first postmaster, Theodorick B. Wood, appointed Jan. 16, 1854). This church is one of oldest buildings in Panola County still in use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970