Details for Potter County Library (Atlas Number 5375004097)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5375004097

Data

Marker Number 4097
Atlas Number 5375004097
Marker Title Potter County Library
Index Entry Potter County Library
Address 519 South Taylor St.
City Amarillo
County Potter
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 241811
UTM Northing 3899786
Subject Codes buildings; design and construction; women, women's history topics; Praire School (Archictectural style); libraries
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 519 South Taylor Street, Amarillo
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Potter County free library was organized in 1902 by twelve local women. Many citizens donated books, and held bazaars, candy sales, and other activities to raise money to purchase more books. Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Willis donated a lot and house for the first library building. As these accommodations were outgrown, the library moved to the old post office, the fire station, and to city hall. The Potter County commissioners court granted approval for a county-supported library in July 1921. This building was designed by Amarillo Architects J. Roy Smith and W.C. Townes, and was built in 1922 by the W.M. Rice construction company at a cost of $25,000. The basement of the library was used as a public lounge to meet the needs of women shoppers and their children, and tourists. The facility included a living room, lunch room, assembly hall and resting room, and was staffed by a matron. A significant local example of an institutional building of the 1920's, this structure exhibits the clean lines, horizontal emphasis, and geometric detailing typical of the prairie school style of architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996