||Most imposing public building in early Robertson County.
After becoming county seat in 1870, Calvert lost many leaders in 1873 yellow fever epidemic. As planned, this Courthouse was begun in 1875; but before its completion, Franklin was named county seat, in 1879.
Robert A. Brown, a merchant, investor and planter, purchased this building in 1885. With help of his wife, Lucy Herndon Brown, he made it into a residence.
In 1909 his heirs sold it to Mrs. Fannie L. Hammond, in whose family it remained until 1966, when it became a museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968