Details for Robertson County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5395010943)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5395010943

Data

Marker Number 10943
Atlas Number 5395010943
Marker Title Robertson County Courthouse
Index Entry Robertson County Courthouse
Address Courthouse Grounds, Center St.
City Franklin
County Robertson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 739731
UTM Northing 3434997
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Erected in 1882 at a cost of $30,000, this white limestone building is the fourth to serve as Robertson County Courthouse. In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great Northern Railroad. But because Texas already had a post office named Morgan, the town was renamed Franklin for the first county seat, which was named for pioneer Will Franklin. Plans for a courthouse were begun that year; and in 1881 the construction was started, under F. E. Ruffini, architect. Since then the building has been remodeled.