Details for St. Phillips Episcopal (Atlas Number 5395010945)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5395010945

Data

Marker Number 10945
Atlas Number 5395010945
Marker Title St. Phillips Episcopal
Index Entry St. Phillips Episcopal
Address
City Hearne
County Robertson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 729846
UTM Northing 3418740
Subject Codes Georgian Revial (Architectural style); Episcopal denomination; churches
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Cedar and First St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text W. B. Wadsworth (1843-1916) and J. G. Wilkerson (1847-1903) moved their families to the Hearne area from Matagorda. With their help, this church was founded in 1871. It was named in honor of the Rev. J. W. Philips who preached the first sermon. This property was donated to the congregation by the New York and Texas Land Company. Services were conducted in a wooden church building until the present Gothic revival structure was completed in 1912. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979