Details for Katy Hamman Stricker Library (Atlas Number 5395013024)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5395013024

Data

Marker Number 13024
Atlas Number 5395013024
Marker Title Katy Hamman Stricker Library
Index Entry Stricker, Katy Hamman, Library
Address 404 E Mitchell
City Calvert
County Robertson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 722320
UTM Northing 3429843
Subject Codes institutional buildings; Prairie School (Archictectural style); libraries; women
Marker Year 2003
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 404 E Mitchell
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1868, Robert Calvert and other local farmers urged the Houston & Texas Central Railroad to build through the area. The city of Calvert became an agricultural trade center and attracted new residents from other area settlements. After the turn of the 20th century, women's clubs became a popular aspect of community life throughout the country. In 1907, Missouri-based businessman Edward G. Lewis founded the American Woman's League (AWL), an organization tied to selling league materials and magazines. Calvert women organized a chapter in 1908 and qualified for a chapter house built and furnished by the AWL. In May 1909, Ella Hamman donated this lot to the AWL, which built a Class I chapter house for the Calvert group. Lewis hired Helfensteller, Hirsch and Watson, a St. Louis firm, to design five classes of league chapter houses. The architects chose the Prairie style for their plans. Details of the Calvert chapter house include a low gabled roof and integrated planter boxes. For the interior, designed to resemble a home, Lewis commissioned George Julian Zolnay for a bas relief sculpture entitled "Woman's Mission." Lewis' AWL group did not last, but local women reorganized as the Calvert Woman's Club in the late 1930s and operated a community library from the chapter house, which continued to be used for local meetings and functions. Katy Hamman Stricker, a charter Calvert AWL member for whom the building is named, continued to donate to the library for many years, helping to ensure its long-standing role as a place for education and gathering in the Calvert community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003