Details for Augus Theatre (Atlas Number 5405012176)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5405012176

Data

Marker Number 12176
Atlas Number 5405012176
Marker Title Augus Theatre
Index Entry August Theatre
Address 110 E. Columbia St.
City San Augustine
County San Augustine
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes opera houses and theatre; commercial buildings
Marker Year 1998
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Constructed in the 1920s by prominent citizen E. H. Blount, this building was originally divided for three businesses including a barber shop. The structure is best known for the August Theatre, operated by William M. Wade, which moved into the central portion in 1927; it was expanded in 1933 and occupied the western two-thirds until 1972. The Wade family continued to operate the theatre, a major social center of San Augustine, until the late 1960s. Russell Lee photographs taken in the 1930s assured the authenticity of a 1990s renovation. The structure continues to reflect a commercial building of the 1920s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998