Details for San Jacinto County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5407012481)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5407012481

Data

Marker Number 12481
Atlas Number 5407012481
Marker Title San Jacinto County Courthouse
Index Entry San Jacinto County Courthouse
Address 1 Byrd Ave.
City Coldspring
County San Jacinto
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes courthouses; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 2000
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Byrd Ave. at SH 150
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text A fire in 1915 destroyed the San Jacinto County courthouse. Landowners donated land at this site and relocated the center of county government to "new town" Coldspring. The county hired builders Price and Williamson to construct the new courthouse based on plans by the Houston firm of Lane and Dabney. It was constructed in 1916-17 of brick fired locally from local clay. Merchants and citizens followed the courthouse to the new location, and by 1925, "old town" Coldspring was deserted. Repairs in 1936 modified its appearance somewhat, but the courthouse retains elements of its original Italian Renaissance design in its arched doors and windows on the east and west elevations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000