Details for West Texas Woolen Mills (Atlas Number 5413005683)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5413005683

Data

Marker Number 5683
Atlas Number 5413005683
Marker Title West Texas Woolen Mills
Index Entry West Texas Woolen Mills
Address 409 SW Main St.
City Eldorado
County Schleicher
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 346661
UTM Northing 3414808
Subject Codes mills - textile, fiber, gristmills, cotton gins; manufacturing
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 409 SW Main St., Eldorado
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text INTRODUCED TO THIS AREA IN 1883, SHEEP EXISTED IN LARGE NUMBERS THROUGHOUT THE REGION BY THE 1930s. PROMINENT LOCAL BANKER JOSEPH B. CHRISTIAN AND HIS SON, TEXTILE ENGINEER JOE MULLER CHRISTIAN, ERECTED THIS NATIVE STONE BUILDING TO HOUSE THE WEST TEXAS WOOLEN MILLS. TEXAS GOVERNOR W. LEE O'DANIEL ATTENDED THE GRAND OPENING IN 1941. IN 1942 THE PLANT WAS AWARDED A MAJOR WORLD WAR II CONTRACT TO MANUFACTURE ARMY BLANKETS. AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CONVERSION TO POSTWAR PRODUCTION, THE MILL BECAME A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO THE AREA'S ECONOMY. THE CHRISTIANS SOLD THE LANDMARK MILL IN 1963. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1995