Details for First Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5415001820)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5415001820

Data

Marker Number 1820
Atlas Number 5415001820
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church
Address 2706 Ave R.
City Snyder
County Scurry
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 320327
UTM Northing 3621250
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 2706 Avenue R, Snyder.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Organized June 13, 1892, as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, by The Rev. W. W. Werner, with seven charter members. In 1906 original church body joined the Abilene Presbytery, Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. Congregation moved from its first location (Ave. Q and 26th) in 1924. Used basement at Avenue R and 28th Street for worship until sanctuary was completed in 1929. Leaded stained glass memorial windows honor small, dedicated congregation who built this church. Bell, forged in 1902 and still used regularly, came from white frame church of 1904. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1969