Details for H. C. Jacobs House (Atlas Number 5417002313)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5417002313

Data

Marker Number 2313
Atlas Number 5417002313
Marker Title H. C. Jacobs House
Index Entry Jacobs, H. C. House
Address Jacobs Street
City Albany
County Shackelford
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 472008
UTM Northing 3620881
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; local law enforcement officer; sheriffs
Marker Year 1974
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Jacobs Street, Albany
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text First permanent home in Albany. Built 1875 of stone from nearby deposits by Henry Carter Jacobs (1842-94), an organizer and the first sheriff of Shackelford County. A Kentuckian, Civil War veteran, and surveyor, Jacobs platted town of Albany, donated courthouse and Presbyterian church sites, led in move for a railroad here. He was a merchant, land developer and agent, published "Albany Sun", bred fine horses, and played in cornet band. He married Mary Josephine Whately; they had five children. He and his wife helped organize Presbyterian church. Their pioneer home was restored in 1973. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1974.