Details for Shackelford County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5417004649)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5417004649

Data

Marker Number 4649
Atlas Number 5417004649
Marker Title Shackelford County Courthouse
Index Entry Shackelford County Courthouse
Address SH 6 & US 180
City Albany
County Shackelford
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 472179
UTM Northing 3620585
Subject Codes courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Courthouse Square, intersection of SH 6 & Highway 180, Albany
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Built 1883-84 from plans by J. E. Flanders of Dallas, architect for several other 1880s Texas courthouses. Edgar Rye of Albany was construction superintendent. Kilted Scottish Masons erected the walls of stone quarried a few miles southwest of town. The foundations rest two feet deep on "natural concrete" (caliche). Budgeted at $27,000.00; final cost was $49,433.75. Clock tower was added at public's request. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1962