Details for The Lynch Building (Atlas Number 5417005373)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5417005373

Data

Marker Number 5373
Atlas Number 5417005373
Marker Title The Lynch Building
Index Entry Lynch Building, The
Address SH 6 & US 180
City Albany
County Shackelford
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 472210
UTM Northing 3620508
Subject Codes commercial buildings; Italianate; Greek Revival (Architectural style); markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Faces courthouse grounds, intersection of SH 6 & Highway 180, Albany
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This was Albany's first stone mercantile store. It was erected in stages, combining Greek revival and Victorian Italianate designs. In 1878, W. H. Miller built one-story east unit, and permitted Albany Masonic Lodge to erect a second story. Local rancher J. C. Lynch in 1881 built the 2-story west unit. The "Live and Let Live" drugstore was an early tenant. L. H. Hill and family owned the property 1896-1974. Clifton Caldwell bought and restored it in 1974-75. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1975.