Details for Dewberry Plantation House (Atlas Number 5423007719)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5423007719

Data

Marker Number 7719
Atlas Number 5423007719
Marker Title Dewberry Plantation House
Index Entry Dewberry Plantation House
Address 14007 FM 346W
City Bullard
County Smith
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 273270
UTM Northing 3560390
Subject Codes Greek Revival (Architectural style); houses, residential buildings; pioneers; plantations
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 4 miles west of Bullard on FM 344, then 0.5 mi. N of Teasleville on FM 346
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text War of 1812 veteran John Dewberry came to Texas in 1835 and was listed as a resident of Tyler by 1845. A successful businessman and cotton farmer, he served on the commission to locate county boundaries and a county seat after the creation of Smith County in 1846. This Greek Revival house, which Dewberry named "Myrtle-Vale," was begun in 1852 and served as headquarters for his large cotton plantation. A rare surviving example in the county of a two-story antebellum residence, the Dewberry house remained in the family until 1908. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962