Details for First Baptist Church of Tyler (Atlas Number 5423007724)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5423007724

Data

Marker Number 7724
Atlas Number 5423007724
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Tyler
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Tyler
Address 301 W. Ferguson at Bois d'Arc
City Tyler
County Smith
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 283289
UTM Northing 3581769
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1987
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Organized on April 8, 1848, with six charter members, this congregation first met in a log cabin courthouse on the town square. Led by elders W. H. Ray and W. B. Langston, services were held monthly, with members being called by the blowing of a horn. After a new courthouse was built in 1851, the church met in the Odd Fellows Hall and the U. S. Federal courtroom. In 1855, a building was erected to serve as both church and school, but it was soon destroyed in a fire. A second, brick church was built in 1859, and in 1882 was also destroyed by fire. A third sanctuary on North Bois d'Arc Street, home to the congregation since 1886, was dedicated in 1889. One of the earliest Baptist churches organized in Texas still in existence, it was officially chartered in 1882 as the Baptist Church of Tyler. The name became First Baptist Church of Tyler when it sponsored a mission, now Calvary Baptist Church, in 1888. The present church structure was built in 1913, during the pastorate of Dr. G. L. Yates. Educational wings were added in 1937, 1959, and 1980. The beaux arts style sanctuary features massive columns, pedimented portico, quoins, and full entablatures. Later alterations include modern stained glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987