Details for Marvin Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5423007741)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5423007741

Data

Marker Number 7741
Atlas Number 5423007741
Marker Title Marvin Methodist Church
Index Entry Marvin Methodist Church
Address S. Bois d'Arc and W. Erwin St.
City Tyler
County Smith
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 282231
UTM Northing 3582076
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text First church in Smith County. Organized 1848 by the Revs. Sam Box and Alexander Douglas. Had all-faiths services at first in log cabin on Courthouse Square, later in Adams blacksmith shop, south of Square. In 1852 built across street from this site, a 2-story church and lodge hall in cooperation with Masons. Present church, erected 1890 (now Tyler's oldest church), was named in 1891 to honor Bishop Enoch Mather Marvin (1823-1877), C. S. A. Chaplain, famed in Missouri and Texas for powerful sermons. Building was expanded 1923, 1942, 1952. Church has had 45 pastors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968