Details for The George R. Philips House (Atlas Number 5423007750)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5423007750

Data

Marker Number 7750
Atlas Number 5423007750
Marker Title The George R. Philips House
Index Entry Philips, George R., House
Address
City Tyler
County Smith
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Victorian (architectural term)
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size @
Marker Text Built in 1880 for merchant and civic leader George Ross Philips (1853-1944), this two-story house was originally located on South Broadway in Tyler. Contractors Ford & Baskin, who erected the structure, later built Philips' Store on the Courthouse Square. In this elegant Victorian residence, Philips and his wife Ada (Townsend) (d. 1925) raised their family of five children. The house was moved to this site in 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978