Details for B. T. Brown House (Atlas Number 5429000257)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5429000257

Data

Marker Number 257
Atlas Number 5429000257
Marker Title B. T. Brown House
Index Entry Brown, B. T., House
Address US 83 at Brown Branch Creek bridge
City Breckenridge
County Stephens
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 509267
UTM Northing 3622439
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; houses, residential buildings; pioneers
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Just east of US 183 at the south edge of Breckenridge. Driveway is just south of Brown Branch Creek Bridge.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text One of the oldest structures in Breckenridge, this ranch house was erected by Benjamin Tarver Brown (1831-1905), a Confederate Army Captain who came to Stephens County in 1866. He built this house in 1876, the year Breckenridge was founded as county seat. Limestone blocks were cut nearby for the 18-inch thick walls, and other building materials were hauled by wagon from Fort Worth. The structure was restored by Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Kelley, who purchased it in 1941.