Details for Stephens County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5429005111)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5429005111

Data

Marker Number 5111
Atlas Number 5429005111
Marker Title Stephens County Courthouse
Index Entry Stephens County Courthouse
Address US 180
City Breckenridge
County Stephens
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 508933
UTM Northing 3624184
Subject Codes buildings; courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SE corner of courthouse square, US 180, Breckenridge.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This ornate doorway was main entrance of the three-story red sandstone courthouse built here in 1883. Carved into these columns are the names of architect J.E. Flanders, County Judge E.L. Walker, and three of four commissioners. The fourth was omitted because he objected to the cost of the construction. A large cistern at the rear of the building provided water for the town. When the oil boom of the 1920s attracted more people to this area, and the old structure was replaced by a larger courthouse in 1926, this portal was left as a reminder of the county's pioneer heritage.