Details for Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (Atlas Number 5439002029)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439002029

Data

Marker Number 2029
Atlas Number 5439002029
Marker Title Fort Worth Livestock Exchange
Index Entry Fort Worth Livestock Exchange
Address 201 E. Exchange St.
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 654835
UTM Northing 3629098
Subject Codes animals; commercial buildings; Business topics, general; cattle, cattle industry topics
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 201 E. Exchange St., Fort Worth
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Headquarters, one of greatest cattle markets in the world. In late 1860s Fort Worth was stop on cattle trails. Market for West Texas organized 1870s. First trader, T. B. Saunders, Sr., soon was joined by others. First small packing houses were followed (early 1900s) by multi-million dollar plants. By 1910 trading almost doubled. This structure was erected in 1902-03 to house the Stockyards Company, Livestock Commission, and buyers officers, surrounded by lawns (now parking lots). In 1944, was purchased by United Stockyards Corporation.