Details for Garvey-Veihl House (Atlas Number 5439002105)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439002105

Data

Marker Number 2105
Atlas Number 5439002105
Marker Title Garvey-Veihl House
Index Entry Garvey-Veihl House
Address 769 Samuels Ave.
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 656410
UTM Northing 3626936
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style); design and construction
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 769 Samuels Ave, Fort Worth
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Early landowner Baldwin L. Samuel deeded land in this area to his daughter Mary and her husband Isaac Foster in 1876. The Fosters and their daughter Lucy (Lula) and her husband William B. Garvey moved here from Kentucky in 1882 and built a home overlooking the Trinity River on a lot adjacent to this home site. At that time many of the city's wealthiest families were building impressive homes along Samuels Avenue and the bluff of the Trinity River. The Garveys bought this lot from the Fosters in 1883 and in 1884 built a small 1-story frame residence. By the late 1890s they had enlarged the house to its current 2-story Queen Anne style appearance. The house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including asymmetrical massing, porches, dormers, and beehive turrets. The house was bequeathed to Baptist Church Charities following the Garvey's deaths in 1915. Merchant Robert C. Veihl and his wife, Lena B., bought the home in 1918. It was maintained by the Veihl family until 1959, but was subsequently abandoned and in 1972 faced condemnation. The house is representative of the grand homes that lined Samuels Avenue at the turn of the century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark- 1993.