Details for Oakwood Cemetery (Atlas Number 5439003659)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439003659

Data

Marker Number 3659
Atlas Number 5439003659
Marker Title Oakwood Cemetery
Index Entry Oakwood Cemetery
Address Oakwood Cemetery at Grand and Gould Ave.
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 654628
UTM Northing 3627025
Subject Codes graveyards
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Grand at Gould Avenue, Oakwood Cemetery, at gate, Fort Worth
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Founded 1879 by John Peter Smith, one of Fort Worth's first settlers, who became a civic leader, Mayor, philanthropist. He gave 20 acres to City; cemetery since enlarged to 100. The area contains three cemeteries: Oakwood, Calvary, Trinity. Many Fort Worth and Tarrant County men and women of destiny are buried here. Plots are owned by lodges, unions, Catholic, Protestant, Negro, and White. Tracts are dedicated to Union and Confederate soldiers. The Chapel was built in 1914. Oakwood, Calvary Associations, and City provide care. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966