Details for Saint Ignatius Academy Building (Atlas Number 5439004441)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439004441

Data

Marker Number 4441
Atlas Number 5439004441
Marker Title Saint Ignatius Academy Building
Index Entry Saint Ignatius Academy Building
Address 1206-12 Throckmorton
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 656541
UTM Northing 3624658
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics; Victorian (architectural term); design and construction; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1206-12 Throckmorton, Fort Worth
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The first Catholic School in Fort Worth, St. Ignatius Academy was organized by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1885. The first classes were held in a house purchased from Jacob Smith. This four-story limestone structure, used for classrooms and chapel, was completed in 1889. J.J. Kane designed the building, a good example of the Victorian Institutional style. School classes were conducted here until 1962.