Details for Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery (Atlas Number 5439004730)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439004730

Data

Marker Number 4730
Atlas Number 5439004730
Marker Title Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery
Index Entry Berachah Home and Cemetery, Site of
Address 801 W. Mitchell St.
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 676417
UTM Northing 3622754
Subject Codes fraternal organizations; graveyards; orphanages; women, women's history topics
Marker Year 1981
Designations
Marker Location UT-Arlington campus, Doug Russell Park. Cemetery and marker are west of W. Nedderman Dr.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Berachah Rescue Society was organized at Waco in 1894 by the Rev. J. T. Upchurch (b. 1870) for the protection of homeless girls and unwed mothers. Nine years later he opened the Berachah Industrial Home at this site. Ten buildings were located here, including a print shop for publication of the "Purity Journal". The cemetery, which contains more than eighty graves, was first used in 1904 for the burial of Eunice Williams, one of the residents. The home closed in 1935, but the site was used until 1942 as an orphanage run by Upchurch's daughter Allie Mae and her husband Frank Wiese. (1981)