Details for Village Creek (Atlas Number 5439005654)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439005654

Data

Marker Number 5654
Atlas Number 5439005654
Marker Title Village Creek
Index Entry Village Creek
Address Lakewood Dr. at Arlington Golf Course
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 670305
UTM Northing 3621733
Subject Codes archeology; Native Americans; rangers; water topics
Marker Year 1980
Designations
Marker Location Lakewood Dr., Arlington; Arlington Golf Course, 7th Tee
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Archeological excavations along the course of this Trinity River tributary have unearthed evidence of several prehistoric villages. Artifacts from the area date back almost 9,000 years and represent a culture of food-gatherers and hunters. In the 1830s the Creek served as a sanctuary for several Indian tribes who made frequent raids on frontier settlements. The conflict grew worse in 1841 when major attacks were reported in Fannin and Red River Counties. Brigadier General Edward H. Tarrant (1796-1858) of the Republic of Texas Militia led a company of volunteers in a punitive expedition against Indian villages in this area. On May 24, 1841, following brief skirmishes at several encampments, two scouting patrols were attacked near the mouth of the Creek and retreated to the main camp. Reportedly twelve Indians and one soldier, Captain John B. Denton, were killed. As result of the Battle of Village Creek, many tribes began moving west. Others were later removed under terms of the 1843 Treaty signed at Bird's Fort (10 mi. NE) which opened the area to colonization. Much of the battle site is now located beneath the waters of Lake Arlington.