Details for Cooper's Chapel Church and Cemetery (Atlas Number 5449011172)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5449011172

Data

Marker Number 11172
Atlas Number 5449011172
Marker Title Cooper's Chapel Church and Cemetery
Index Entry Cooper's Chapel Church and Cemetery
Address
City Mt. Pleasant
County Titus
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 326914
UTM Northing 3682882
Subject Codes graveyards; churches
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location About 12 mi NE of Mt. Pleasant via US 30 to FM 1993, N about 1.5 mi
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The pioneer families of William Cooper and William Ellis moved from Tennessee and settled here sometime during the 1850s. The burials of W. A. Cooper, Lizzie Dixon, and a Mrs. Harvey in 1886 are the earliest burials recorded here. By 1895 William Cooper had donated two acres, including the early grave sites, for church and graveyard purposes. Although local tradition indicates that this sanctuary was built by members of the Cooper's Chapel Church of Christ in 1892 the earliest record of its existence is contained in a deed recorded in 1913. It is a modest example of a rural frame church sanctuary featuring a hipped roof and double-door primary entrance. The site of numerous social activities, particularly during the 1930s depression period, the building served as a place of worship until 1980; it was transferred to Cooper's Chapel Cemetery trustees in 1981. A springtime event known as "Decoration Day" began early in the community's history and continues today as an annual event often attended by over 200 people. Among those buried here are Mrs. Harvey's son, William, a prominent local citizen, many of this area's pioneer settlers and their descendants, and veterans of wars ranging from the Civil War to the Vietnam conflict. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993