Details for 1925 Gilmer Post Office (Atlas Number 5459012254)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5459012254

Data

Marker Number 12254
Atlas Number 5459012254
Marker Title 1925 Gilmer Post Office
Index Entry Gilmer Post Office, 1925
Address 119 Simpson St
City Gilmer
County Upshur
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 317877
UTM Northing 3622760
Subject Codes post office
Marker Year 1998
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Designed by architect James A. Wetmore, this building was constructed by A. C. Stamford of Alabama, who employed workers from Alabama and from Upshur County. Construction began in June 1925 and was completed early the following year. This structure served as the Gilmer Post Office until October 1991, when it was replaced by a new facility. The 1925 building remained vacant until March 1992 when local groups purchased it for use as a historical museum. A fine example of federal architecture, it features Georgian revival details of red brick and white limestone, plus wood trim, a pedimented central entry and parapet balustrade. Typical postal embellishments such as flanking entry lamps, a cornerstone and a stairway to the door give the structure a classical character. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998