Details for Uvalde County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5463005620)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5463005620

Data

Marker Number 5620
Atlas Number 5463005620
Marker Title Uvalde County Courthouse
Index Entry Uvalde County Courthouse
Address 100 N. Getty St.
City Uvalde
County Uvalde
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 423594
UTM Northing 3231513
Subject Codes courthouses; Neoclassical (architectural style); design and construction
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Uvalde County Courthouse, west side facing N. Getty St. (U.S. 83)
Marker Size 12" x 16" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Completed in 1928, this structure replaced Uvalde County's 1890 courthouse. The Commissioner's Court hired architect Henry T. Phelps, who had designed several other Texas courthouses, and prominent local builder M. H. Ryland to manage the construction project. The Neo-classical style courthouse is the fifth for Uvalde County, which was created in 1856. Outstanding features include its cast stone segmental arches and Ionic porticoes at the entrances. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983