Details for Gantt-Jones House (Atlas Number 5477008336)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5477008336

Data

Marker Number 8336
Atlas Number 5477008336
Marker Title Gantt-Jones House
Index Entry Gantt-Jones House
Address
City Burton
County Washington
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 729265
UTM Northing 3344073
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location From intersection of FM 1697 and FM 2780 in Burton, go N on FM 2780 about 1.1 mile to home on W side of road.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text One of the homes in the early Union Hill settlement, this Greek Revival residence was built about 1860 for Dr. William Henry Gantt (d. 1867), a physician and scientist who later taught at Galveston Medical College. The second owner, 1865-1890, was Henry B. ("Jo-He") Jones, the inventor of a multi-purpose medicinal ointment. The family of Louis Prenzler lived here from 1908 to 1973. The structure was then purchased and restored by Mr. and Mrs. George L. Temple.