Details for Biggio-Kowalski-De La Garza House (Atlas Number 5479000405)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5479000405

Data

Marker Number 405
Atlas Number 5479000405
Marker Title Biggio-Kowalski-De La Garza House
Index Entry Biggio-Kowalski-De La Garza House
Address 1620 Farragut
City Laredo
County Webb
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 449297
UTM Northing 3042648
Subject Codes Four Square (Architectural style); houses, residential buildings; design and construction
Marker Year 1996
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1620 Farragut, Laredo
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Chester C. Biggio, a railroad official and the city's first fire chief, had this home built in 1909 for his family. He died in 1923, and in 1938 his widow Laura Blossman Biggio sold the house to Louis and Dorothy Kowalski. They lived here with their six children until 1948. Leonor de La Garza bought the house in 1965; her sister Fidela inherited it in 1973. The house is a good example of the American foursquare form. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996