Details for Fort McIntosh Barracks (Atlas Number 5479001997)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5479001997

Data

Marker Number 1997
Atlas Number 5479001997
Marker Title Fort McIntosh Barracks
Index Entry Fort McIntosh Barracks
Address
City Laredo
County Webb
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes buildings; forts; military topics
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on administration building
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text The last remaining of three brick barracks constructed in 1880 by the U.S. Army to quarter troops engaged in scouting and escort duty along the Rio Grande. The structure originally had four large rooms, divided by a central stairway. The exterior has not been altered. Soldiers who occupied the building served in the Spanish-American War and both world wars. Ownership of Fort McIntosh was transferred to Laredo Junior College in 1947. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962