Details for St. Augustine Parochial School (Atlas Number 5479012441)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5479012441


Marker Number 12441
Atlas Number 5479012441
Marker Title St. Augustine Parochial School
Index Entry St. Augustine Parochial School
Address 201 San Agustin Ave.
City Laredo
County Webb
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 2000
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The arrival of the railroad in Laredo in 1881, along with the influx of exiles into the city after the Mexican Revolution, contributed to an increase in the city's population and the need for another Catholic school. In 1922, the Oblate fathers were placed in charge of the parish of San Agustín and began plans for a parochial co-educational school. Under the leadership of the Rev. Jesús Prieto, who arrived as parish priest at San Agustín in 1925, funds were raised and property obtained to make the school a reality. San Antonio architect Luis Fuessel designed this school building, incorporating elements of the Gothic Revival style in its pointed arch windows. Despite severe flooding in the spring of 1927, local contractors Mc. W. Ryan and his apprentice, Alfonso Leyendecker, completed the second floor of the building in time for school to open on Sept. 12, 1927. Sister Philomena Hayes served as first principal of St. Augustine School. She and the other sisters of the Order of Divine Providence resided on the third floor of this building until 1948, when that floor was converted for classrooms and a new library. Over the years, the sisters and lay teachers educated students from both Laredo and Nuevo Laredo and produced outstanding graduates. In the 1976-77 school year, St. Augustine School relocated to the former campus of Ursuline Academy. The original 1927 school building remains in use as meeting and religious education space for San Agustín parish. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000