Details for First Baptist Church of Wharton (Atlas Number 5481001683)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5481001683

Data

Marker Number 1683
Atlas Number 5481001683
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Wharton
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Wharton
Address 507 N Fulton St.
City Wharton
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 781987
UTM Northing 3246248
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1986
Designations
Marker Location 507 N Fulton St., Wharton.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Early Baptist worship services in this area were most likely held at the home of "Old 300" colonist William Kincheloe, perhaps as early as 1822. A Sunday School was started in or near present-day Wharton in 1829 or 1830. Baptist congregation was organized by 1847. That year, the Colorado Church of Wharton, or Wharton Baptist Church as it came to be called, became one of the founding members of the Colorado association. The congregation's first sanctuary was built in the late 1850s. The fellowship has been known since 1913 as the First Baptist Church of Wharton. (Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.)