Details for Judge Edwin Hawes House (Atlas Number 5481002879)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5481002879

Data

Marker Number 2879
Atlas Number 5481002879
Marker Title Judge Edwin Hawes House
Index Entry Hawes, Judge Edwin, House
Address 309 N. Resident St.
City Wharton
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 782264
UTM Northing 3246347
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; judges
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 309 N. Resident St., Wharton
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Rosa F. McCamly had this home built in 1896. In 1897 she sold it to Edwin Hawes (b. 1852), Wharton County judge in the 1870s and 1880s. Hawes had returned to this area after temporarily residing in Kerrville, where he was mayor. Here he was a large landowner and a political leader. The double galleried home was purchased in 1944 by George Rust Hawes and his wife Emily ( Prasifka), the son and daughter-in-law of Edwin and Lizzie Milburn (Rust) Hawes. (Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1982.)