Details for Shearith Israel Synagogue (Atlas Number 5481004663)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5481004663

Data

Marker Number 4663
Atlas Number 5481004663
Marker Title Shearith Israel Synagogue
Index Entry Shearith Israel Synagogue
Address N. Alabama Road
City Wharton
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 783318
UTM Northing 3247758
Subject Codes Jewish topics; churches
Marker Year 1988
Designations
Marker Location Shearith Israel Cemetery, N. Alabama Road north of Barfield Road
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Jewish families in Wharton began meeting together for worship services about 1899. The congregation received its official charter in 1913 and was registered as Shearith Israel Synagogue. A synagogue building was erected on S. Rusk Street in 1921, and J. Keilin was the first rabbi. A cemetery was established on N. Alabama Rd. in 1937. A new synagogue in the shape of the shield of David was built on Old Lane City Rd. in 1956. The congregation continues to draw members from numerous towns and is a leading force in area civic and religious activities. (1988)