Details for Site of Post West Bernard Station (Atlas Number 5481004873)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5481004873

Data

Marker Number 4873
Atlas Number 5481004873
Marker Title Site of Post West Bernard Station
Index Entry Post West Bernard Station, Site of
Address SH 60
City Hungerford
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 783205
UTM Northing 3255550
Subject Codes Texas Revolution, Republic of Texas; forts; military topics
Marker Year 1985
Designations
Marker Location On SH 60, in traffic triangle, Surrounded by Colorado, railroad, and McKinney St., Hungerford
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In the summer of 1837 Post West Bernard Station was established as an ordnance depot of the army of The Republic of Texas. Its location on the West Bernard River was strategic in protecting Houston, then capital of Texas, from possible invasion by Mexico. Cannons, rifles, muskets, powder, and shot were stored at the station. Troops under Lt. H. L. Grush and later Capt. Martin K. Snell maintained the post despite harsh living conditions. In 1838-39 this station transferred its inventory of ordnance to the newly completed Houston Arsenal.