Details for St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Atlas Number 5481005043)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5481005043

Data

Marker Number 5043
Atlas Number 5481005043
Marker Title St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Index Entry St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Address 614 Pecan St.
City Wharton
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 782260
UTM Northing 3246407
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; churches; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1996
Designations
Marker Location 614 Pecan St, Wharton
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Rev. Ernst August Wenzel, a German Lutheran missionary, began visiting German immigrant families in the Kriegel area east of Wharton in the 1890s. They formed a congregation, and in 1898 purchased the former Methodist church building in Wharton and named it after St. John. After the storm of 1900 destroyed their sanctuary, the members rebuilt, and in 1930 moved to this location. More structures were added as the congregation grew. The church continues to serve its members and the community with many outreach programs.