Details for First United Methodist Church of Wichita Falls (Atlas Number 5485001900)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5485001900

Data

Marker Number 1900
Atlas Number 5485001900
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Wichita Falls
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Wichita Falls
Address 909 Tenth St.
City Wichita Falls
County Wichita
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 546882
UTM Northing 3752318
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; design and construction; churches
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 909 Tenth Street, Wichita Falls
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text This congregation, the first to be organized in Wichita Falls, began in March 1881 at the home of Alfred H. Harris, with F. O. Miller as pastor, six charter members held services in a log schoolhouse and later in the courthouse. Two sanctuaries were erected to serve the growing membership before this building was completed in 1928. Designed by Houston architect William Ward Watkin, the building features Gothic revival styling. (Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983.)