Details for San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant (Atlas Number 5489004542)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5489004542

Data

Marker Number 4542
Atlas Number 5489004542
Marker Title San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant
Index Entry San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant
Address SH 186, E of Raymondville
City Raymondville
County Willacy
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 635698
UTM Northing 2931637
Subject Codes Spanish immigrants/immigration; land surveys, land companies, promotional towns
Marker Year 1988
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location From Raymondville, take SH 186 E. about 12 mi.
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The largest land grant in South Texas, the San Juan de Carrictios lands were awarded to Don Jose Narciso Cavazos in 1792 by the King of Spain. Comprising over one-half million acres, the grant included virtually all of present Williacy County, including the sites of the towns of Sebastian, Lyford, Raymondville, Lasara, San Perlita, and Port Mansfield. In 1793 Cavazos took formal possession of the land grant seven miles north of this site. Most of the grant was later sold by Cavazos' heirs, although some descendants still live within its boundaries. (1988)