Details for Early Church (Atlas Number 5491009084)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009084

Data

Marker Number 9084
Atlas Number 5491009084
Marker Title Early Church
Index Entry Early Church
Address 100 Suttles Street
City Florence
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 615731
UTM Northing 3412335
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; fraternal organizations; Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Primitive Baptist Church, Suttles Street, next to Florence Cemetery, Florence
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text On land given March 8, 1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house. Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J. W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict. in that era it housed a school, Baptist and Methodist worship services, and Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. It was purchased in 1924 by Primitive Baptists and reduced to one story in an extensive remodeling in 1950. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970