Details for Eikel-Prewitt Building (Atlas Number 5491009086)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009086

Data

Marker Number 9086
Atlas Number 5491009086
Marker Title Eikel-Prewitt Building
Index Entry Eikel-Prewitt Building
Address 316 N. Main Street
City Taylor
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 652545
UTM Northing 3383096
Subject Codes commercial buildings; design and construction; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1985
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 316 N. Main Street, Taylor
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Albert Eikel (b. 1852) had this building constructed in 1893 to house the Eikel Hardware Company. The three-story, brick commercial structure was designed by prominent Williamson County architect Henry Struve. The building was purchased in 1923 by the Ira A. Prewitt Company and remained the home of that business until 1981. Prominent features include its cast iron pilasters and the paired, rounded windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985