Details for First United Methodist Church of Georgetown (Atlas Number 5491009090)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009090

Data

Marker Number 9090
Atlas Number 5491009090
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Address 410 E. University Avenue
City Georgetown
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 627146
UTM Northing 3389695
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1974
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location University Ave. and Ash St.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders, this church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus. The present church structure was built in 1891-93, of native limestone, hand-cut at this site. Physics professor Robert S. Hyer was the supervising architect. The floor plan is modeled after the Greek cross. Bishops A. Frank Smith (1889-1962) and W. Angie Smith (1894-1974), brothers, made decisions to enter the ministry in this church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974

Images