Details for First Christian Church of Taylor (Atlas Number 5491009091)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009091

Data

Marker Number 9091
Atlas Number 5491009091
Marker Title First Christian Church of Taylor
Index Entry First Christian Church of Taylor
Address 6th & Talbot streets
City Taylor
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 653533
UTM Northing 3383356
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; design and construction; Christian (Disciples of Christ) denominations; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 6th & Talbot streets, Taylor
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members from churches in "old home" states. Gen. R. M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church. The initial meeting was in an Odd Fellows hall. In 1878, a church building was erected. Present Gothic Revival church was built in 1891. Architect: E. B. Mackin. Distinctive interior is preserved, although bell tower has been removed. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970