Details for St. James Church (Atlas Number 5491009334)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009334

Data

Marker Number 9334
Atlas Number 5491009334
Marker Title St. James Church
Index Entry St. James Church
Address 612 Davis St
City Taylor
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 652067
UTM Northing 3383346
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Episcopal denomination; churches
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of Davis and W 7th St
Marker Size Medallion and plate
Marker Text First Episcopal services in Taylor were held 1878 by the Rev. E. Wickens, a missionary. Visitations were also made by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first Bishop of Texas. Services were in homes and opera house. This church of cypress, oak and pine woods was completed 1893 in traditional cruciform plan. The organ installed in 1914 is still in use. The structure retains original stained glass windows and interior paneling. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969