Details for Taylor Post Office (Atlas Number 5491009359)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5491009359

Data

Marker Number 9359
Atlas Number 5491009359
Marker Title Taylor Post Office
Index Entry Taylor Post Office
Address 202 W. Fourth Street
City Taylor
County Williamson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 652355
UTM Northing 3383096
Subject Codes post office; Classical Revival (architectural style); institutional buildings
Marker Year 1992
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 202 W. Fourth Street, Taylor
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorsville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in 1929-30. A finely crafted example of the Classical Revival style that characterized federal projects of the 1920s, the building features six round-arched windows on the ground floor; a balustrade and parapet with garland panel on the second floor; an elaborate entry portico; stone columns; and a Classical entablature. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992