Details for Kicaster Community (Atlas Number 5493002937)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5493002937

Data

Marker Number 2937
Atlas Number 5493002937
Marker Title Kicaster Community
Index Entry Kicaster Community
Address FM 3432
City La Vernia
County Wilson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 576982
UTM Northing 3242662
Subject Codes graveyards; ghost towns
Marker Year 1975
Designations
Marker Location From La Vernia, FM 775 southwest to FM 3432, marker is at intersection with CR 324
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The families of Isaac Crow, R. T. Spivey, Dr. W. R. Callaway, T. P. Camp, J. E. Watkins, Isom Ferguson, L. B. Pittman, and others began a farming settlement here in the 1860s. John James donated land for a schoolhouse (1872), where church services were also held. A. C. and Mary Anderson in 1887 gave more land for public use. Easterling post office, opened in 1887, was soon renamed Kicaster for nearby creek, but closed in 1906. The school was phased out in 1940, and the churches moved away. Kicaster Cemetery, in use since the 1870s, now marks the site of the community. (1975)