Details for La Vernia United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5493003005)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5493003005

Data

Marker Number 3005
Atlas Number 5493003005
Marker Title La Vernia United Methodist Church
Index Entry La Vernia United Methodist Church
Address Loop 321
City La Vernia
County Wilson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 585871
UTM Northing 3247732
Subject Codes graveyards; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1976
Designations
Marker Location On Loop 321, east side of La Vernia.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Earliest services of this church were held near here, at Bethesda, in 1853 by The Rev. J. S. McGee, a circuit rider. In 1876, La Vernia Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized with The Rev. John E. Vernor as pastor. By tradition the Masonic Hall housed services until 1881. Then trustees bought this site and erected a church building, which was destroyed by a storm five years later. Present church was built in 1887. The 85-year-old Post Oak Methodist Church (9 mi. NE) was merged with La Vernia in 1970. This church controls Post Oak Cemetery. (1976)